Sunday, November 3, 2013

Less is More - My Commitment to Get Rid of the Clutter

I recently read "Simplicity Parenting" by Kim John Payne.  It was well worth it.  This is a kind of "less is more" approach to parenting.  What really struck me was his ideas about "too much stuff".  Payne attests that too many belongings, too much visual clutter, and too many toys are actually harmful to a child's development.  He suggests that parents cull their children's collection of toys, and even books, to a manageable number of favourites and open-ended play things.

This isn't the first place I've heard this sentiment.  I read this article on Ruth Soukup's blog about a year ago, entitled "Why I took my kids’ toys away (& why they won’t get them back)."  Read the full article at http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2012/09/14/why-i-took-all-my-kids-toys-away-why-they-wont-get-them-back/#HKPYLtBByRkqEIzo.99  This article was quite controversial and elicited a flurry of comments and conversations.  I can't say that I would ever go as far as she did, but I'm definitely onside with why she did this.  

My husband also supports this idea.  Growing up, he didn't have a lot of toys, but this is actually something that he values about his childhood.  Having fewer toys forced him to use his imagination more, head outdoors more and value what he had.  Nothing makes him happier than seeing our son absorbed in playing with pile of leaves or sand or even dirt, because that's what he remembers fondly from his childhood.  

It would be hypocritical of me to focus on just Little Will's toys and ignore the clutter throughout our house.  I've always been bad about managing clutter, my husband not much better, and the fact that we are living in a smaller portion of our home during renovations makes the "excess" all the more obvious.  So, if less is more, than perhaps before adding anything to our space I need to take a number of things away.  I'll update you on how this goes.  Operation Simplify is about to begin...

So, my goals thus far:
  1.  Simplify!
  2.  Spend more time in nature
  3.  Art work everyday
  4.  Read everyday

If this is all I do, I'll still feel very good about it.  

No comments: